by a contributor
from Mira Mattar, author of Lion and Gazelle:
- Two Serious Ladies by Jane Bowles
Leave everything behind. Ascend through mud. Deny God. Not for the faint-hearted.
- Faces in the Water by Janet Frame
Like a bowl of rotting fruit. Colours you’ve never seen before. Lucid insanity.
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice and all things nice. That’s what little girls are made of.
- Close to the Knives – David Wojnarowicz
AIDS, art, addiction. Laceratingly brilliant. Rage never tasted so good. Let this blow your mind.
- Walking Through Clear Water in a Pool Painted Black – Cookie Mueller
When starring in John Waters’ movies is the least interesting thing you did. How life should be lived by another heroine.