5 Things You Should Read (Mangla)
by a contributor
from Ravi Mangla, author of A Good Meal:
- “The Conversations” by Tim Horvath at The Collagist. This story is a beast. There’s so much going on here: structurally, acoustically, intellectually. Tim is doing some awesome things with the form.
- Exits Are by Mike Meginnis and Company at Artifice Books. Totally unique idea. I hope this project inspires others to employ social technologies for creative purposes.
- “Self-Portrait in a Sheet Mirror: On Vivian Maier” by Joanna Scott at The Nation. A wonderful essay on the photographer Vivian Maier, whose work wasn’t discovered until after her death.
- “Family” by Jensen Beach at Necessary Fiction. One of my all-time favorite short short stories. I’m thrilled that it makes an appearance in Jensen’s new collection, For Out of the Heart Proceed.
- “The Hell Bucket” by Adam Peterson at Wigleaf. Adam Peterson is scary brilliant. I’ve revisited this story a number of times since its publication, and it gets better with each reading.